Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Duke's BBQ

FIRST AND FOREMOST THIS IS OUTSIDE OF THE 100 Mile Smoke LINE!



This little out of the way place is perfect in the way you would imagine a tiny little BBQ joint to be. My dad and I went there this past Saturday and enjoyed dinner with ALL the fixings (including corn nuggets which are always a special little treat) and it’s a buffet style service, so the compulsion to eat every single item could be a problem for some. A two plate sitting is usually my max at a buffet these days so I piled up a little bit of everything. Hash, rice, slaw, cue, chicken, hushpuppies, and banana pudding are my staples but anytime full-cut green beans, black eyed peas, stewed tomatoes, corn, lima beans, collards, and the aforementioned corn nuggets are present, then they make an appearance on my plate.


Let me tell you about the cue.
The cue is a little dry, which is easy to expect when you have a buffet because it’s been sitting out under a heat lamp. Despite the dryness, the meat had a good smoky flavor and was a good canvas to display first the hue of red pepper flakes and then glisten of the Carolina gold sauces that Duke’s has as condiments. We were in a desperate race to get to Duke’s before all the ribs were gone and they were very good. I had two spare ribs with some of Duke’s smoky sauce topping them and they were tasty but also a little bit fatty. The cue and the ribs are a savory outstanding experience.
Duke’s has some of the best fried chicken. Remember that as well. I really enjoy any of the Duke’s BBQ joints around the low country, whether they be Ridgeville, Summerville, Hollywood, Ladson, or Walterboro (although I don’t think every Duke’s is related to each other).


Dukes Barbecue 949 Robertson Blvd.
Walterboro, SC 29488 (843)549-1446
Distance from home: 163.65 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment